JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - The Department of Children and Families says 16 Head Start Centers will reopen Wednesday.
DCF will hold a news conference Monday morning at 11:30 a.m. to announce the locations that will open on Wednesday.
The reopening of the centers is part of a collaboration between Congresswoman Corrine Brown, Florida State Senator Audrey Gibson, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Early Learning Coalition, Duval County Public Schools and former State Senator Tony Hill and DCF.
The centers that will reopen have a capacity to serve about 1,500 children.
"We realize how important this issue is to the community," said Congresswoman Brown. "We are taking care of the children."
The 16 facilities that will reopen on Wednesday will stay open until June 7th, which is the end of the school year.
Below is a list of the Head Start facilities that will not reopen this Wednesday, according to DCF:
- Head Start at Greater Grant Memorial, 5533 Gilchrist Road
- Head Start at Happyland Center, 1577 West 26th Street
- Head Start at The Bridge, 320 West 8th Street
- Head Start at Hilltop Village, 1646 West 45th Street
- Head Start at Shands, 2052 Jefferson Street
- Head Start at Southwind Villas, 8711 Newton Road
- Head Start at Edward Waters College, 1626 Grunthal Street
Copyright 2013 by News4Jax.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.