Family, pets escape house fire in NW Jacksonville

JFRD: Space heater sparks house fire

By Crystal Moyer - Traffic/reporter
Headline Goes Here Photo by kelly61309

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - A space heater is to blame for a fire that broke out in Northwest Jacksonville on Thursday morning, according to Jacksonville Fire and Rescue.

Firefighters dispatched to a two-story home on 8400 New Kings Road arrived on scene around 7:30 a.m.

A man and a woman were in the home at the time of the fire with their pets. The two made it out with one dog, the other dog was later rescued by firefighters. Channel 4 received call from the man's daughter Thursday night, who told us the man's name is David Murray.  

Luckily no one was injured in the fire, but Murray's daughter told Channel 4 that he's a 70-year-old disabled veteran, who lost his hearing aids among other important belongings in the fire.  Channel 4 reported the loss of those hearings aids and immediately heard from viewers who want to help Murray.  

Channel 4 was able to connect Andee Morgan and David Murray's daughter... they plan to meet tomorrow morning to see if Mister Murray can use the hearing aids.

Morgan told Channel 4 Thursday that the story was "a seed from God that grew into an opportunity to help someone else."

Murray's home is next to Toby's Bar-B-Que, which wasn't affected by the fire and told Channel 4 it will operate on normal hours Thursday.

Copyright 2013 by News4Jax.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.