JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Authur Pue is demanding answers after a fire destroyed his Southside home on Kelsey Island Drive just after 5 a.m. on Saturday.
Jacksonville Fire and Rescue says it took eight minutes for them to get to the scene, but when they got there, firefighters say there was a problem with the hydrant.
Now, Pue is sharing his frustration over that hydrant malfunction and says he's not getting much of an explanation.
"What do we have? We have a burned down house," said Pue. "We have 50 years of memorabilia shattered."
Pue is still reeling from the shock that the house he and his family called home went up in flames. The fire broke out early yesterday morning as the family slept, taking nearly everything they owned.
"The only things we've been able to save thus far is some clothes that we can get cleaned," Pue said. "And there are some dishes. But basically, everything else is pretty well destroyed."
Jacksonville Electric Authority says it appears someone may have turned off the valve, possibly a private contractor. Pue says when it comes to finding out about the lack of water, he's heard nothing.
"Nobody has contacted me from the fire department other than the fire Marshall to try to tell me what he thinks is the cause of the fire," Pue said.
For now, the answer to that question is still under investigation. In the meantime, Pue and his family pick up the pieces, and those in the area want to make sure this doesn't happen again.
"I sure as heck would like to see someone out here checking these fire hydrants, and to confirm and that they really are in operating order in the event that something like this were to occur again," said Diane Ierna.
For now, the family says they're staying in a hotel and they're waiting to hear back from their insurance company. Pue also says he's exploring his options and talking to an attorney.
Copyright 2013 by News4Jax.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.