Jax Beach house fire threatens condos

JFRD says fire caused by kerosine space heater; 2 people made it out safely

Headline Goes Here
Jacksonville Fire-Rescue initially issued a second-alarm due to the exposure to neighboring buildings, but that was cancelled when the fire was contained to the one house.

JACKSONVILLE BEACH, Fla. - Firefighters on Wednesday afternoon battled a fire at a home in the 500 block of First Street South in Jacksonville Beach that had threatened a multistory condominium building next door.

Jacksonville Fire-Rescue initially issued a second-alarm due to the exposure to neighboring buildings, but that was canceled when the fire was contained to the one house.

IMAGES: Fire consumes Jacksonville Beach house

According to JFRD, two people in the home were alerted when a smoke detector went off and were able to get out safely, but one dog and a bird died in the fire. Firefighters say the fire was caused by a kerosine space heater.

The structure is likely a total loss.

A VyStar account has been set up for the residents of the home, Shannon and David Hewitt. The account number is 702968426 and is in their daughter's name, Ashleith Brown.

Copyright 2012 by News4Jax.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.