JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - A woman was transported to the hospital after a fire broke out in her East Jacksonville home Tuesday morning. The victim's two adult children were not hurt, and while two dogs also made it out safely, two others died in the fire.
According to the Jacksonville Fire and Rescue Department, firefighters were dispatched to a single-family home on Brackland Street at East Seventh Street in reference to a fire.
"The first crews that arrived on the scene discovered a single story, single family residential structure with heavy smoke pouring out of the front and some flames visible in the back of the actual home. The firefighters were relieved to discover that three occupants inside were already outside of the structure," said Tom Francis with JFRD.
A mother and her daughter and son lived in the home. JFRD said the mother was transported to the hospital for smoke inhalation, but her children made it out safely.
Francis said the firefighters were able to put the fire out in about 15 minutes.
"The good news here at the scene is we were able to save two pets, but tragically two dogs were lost," said Francis.
The Red Cross arrived on the scene around 7 a.m. to assist the family. JFRD said the house was inhabitable after the fire.
The State Fire Marshal said the cause of the fire was accidental and was the result of a candle burning. Officials said the house had no power.
Copyright 2014 by News4Jax.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.