3. File a police report where the crime took place.

4. Continue to monitor your credit reports.

5. Consider "freezing" your credit reports.

6. Report the case to the Federal Trade Commission.

7. You may also need to contact the Postal Inspection Service (if the identity thief submitted a change-of-address form with your name), the Social Security Administration (if you believe your Social Security number is being used fraudulently), and the Internal Revenue Service (if the thief may be using your information for tax purposes).