The temps are starting to rise and as it heats up outside we’re going to cool things down in the kitchen. We have some easy ways to whip up some healthy meals without cooking.
“This is no cook!” explained Chef Liza Utter. “This is super, super easy; anyone can do it!”
Utter has owned restaurants, hosted celebrity bashes, and dished out some great recipes; all on the top TV networks and now she’s sharing some summer secrets with us.
“It’s got all your major vegetables: carrots, cucumber, mint,” she said.
Today she’s revealing how to make the perfect garden spring roll.
“They’re super crunchy,” said Utter. “They’re alive.”
Start with some rice paper. Soak it in water for just a minute. Then fill it with all the things you love. Now for the scary part.
“So we’re going to fold it over like so, and then the ends; look how supple it is. Now it’s like a gooey piece of paper. Now watch this. You’re going to tuck it in and then you’re going to roll it. Make sure it’s tight,” said Utter.
Slice it in half and there you have it! Next up is no-cook tomato soup.
“This is basically dump and blend,” explained Utter.
Add tomatoes, cashews, garlic, sun dried tomatoes, salt, and water into your blender.
Utter says, “It should all be blended like a smoothie together.”
Pour it into small cups, top it off with a little olive oil and you are done.
“There’s no reason to cook,” exclaimed Utter. “You don’t have to cook!”
Garden Spring Rolls
Ingredients: (Serves 4)
- Spring roll wrappers. (If you can’t find them in the store in the Asian food section, you can buy them online at www.bluedragon.com)
- 4 carrots cut in half and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 cucumber cut into thirds and thinly sliced lengthwise
- Daikon sprouts (or substitute 4 grated radishes)
- 1 avocado pitted and thinly sliced
- 12 fresh mint leaves
- 12 fresh cilantro leaves
- Cut all of the ingredients in advance and put aside.
- Fill a shallow bowl or baking tray with warm water.
- Place a spring roll wrapper into the water until it is soft and pliable – about 15-20 seconds.
- Remove wrapper and gently lay onto dry cutting board or clean kitchen towel.
- Blot wrapper with a clean towel to remove excess water until it becomes slightly sticky.
- Place the filling, carrots, cucumber, mint, cilantro, Daikon sprouts, and avocado into the middle lower half of the wrapper.
- Fold the bottom of the wrapper up over the filling.
- Fold in the sides of the wrapper to meet and cover the filling.
- Roll the wrapper upwards to form a neat roll shape.
- Cut the roll in the middle at an angle.
Fresh Tomato Soup
Ingredients: (Serves 2, or 6 if used as an appetizer)
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes, grape or cherry tomatoes are recommended
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 2 sun dried tomato slices packed in oil
- 1 and 1/2 cup water
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 and 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- Fresh chopped chives
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Black pepper
- *For a heartier version, top with small chunks of avocado
- Throw everything together in the blender and blend away until thoroughly mixed and creamy.
- Main course – pour into soup bowls. Appetizer – pour into small glasses halfway.
- Top with fresh chopped chives.
- Finish with a drizzle of olive oil and a twist of the black pepper mill.