JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - A 14-year-old has been arrested in the shooting death of a 17-year-old last week.
Jacksonville police said Ernest Bell shot and killed Shavaris Wilkes.
Police said Bell had an ongoing argument with Wilkes when he shot him in the head on Palmdale Street in Northwest Jacksonville about 11 p.m. Wednesday.
Wilkes was found lying in the road, and he later died at a hospital.
Police said Bell told his parents he had shot someone, and they contacted police. Bell's parents did not want to comment Monday.
Wilkes' mother, Lynda Wilkes, and brother, 10-month-old Jay-Quan Mosley, were killed in 2004 by Lynda Wilkes' boyfriend, who is now on death row.
Shavaris Wilkes testified in that case, saying how much he missed his mother.
"I don't understand what is going on with these kids," said Marquita Wilkes, Shavaris' sister. "They got to get their life together because it is so hard to keep losing family members.
"Here it is 2010, and to lose another family member to violent crime, it's bad. It's bad," she said. "I just hope (Bell) gets what he deserves. My brother did not deserve to get shot like that."
Shavaris Wilkes was killed in front of Donna Griffin's house.
"It's surprising because he was so young," Griffin said. "Both of them were young. But for the 14-year-old to do something like that -- where did he get the gun?"
"I am not angry, I am just sad," neighbor David Christopher said. "It is sad to see youths killing youths."
- October 29, 2010: 17-Year-Old Shot, Killed In NW Jacksonville
- February 13, 2006: Jury: Mosley Should Die For Murder Of Baby
- November 30, 2005: Jury To Deliberate Sentence For Man Convicted Of Two Murders
- November 18, 2005: John Mosley Guilty Of Killing Ex-Girlfriend, Baby
- November 17, 2005: Defendant's Wife Last Witness In His Double-Murder Trial
- November 15, 2005: Defendant In Double Murder Trial May Testify
- November 10, 2005: Witness Tells Of Screaming Baby Being Stuffed Into Bag
- November 9, 2005: Prosecution To Seek Death Penalty In Deaths Of Mother, Child
- November 7, 2005: Man Goes On Trial For Allegedly Killing Woman, 10-Month-Old Son
- July 2, 2004: Prosecutors Seek Death Penalty For Man Accused Of Murdering Woman, Infant
- May 28, 2004: Man Accused Of Killing Woman, Infant Pleads Not Guilty
- May 7, 2004: Mosley Charged With Killing Ex-Girlfriend, Baby
- May 6, 2004: Mosley, Teen Charged With Murder; Landfill Search For Baby Ends
- May 3, 2004: Police Search South Georgia Landfill For Baby's Body
- May 3, 2004: Mosley In Court For Paternity Hearing
- April 30, 2004: Mosley Jailed; Investigation Into Missing Woman, Baby Continues
- April 28, 2004: More Police, Volunteers Search For Missing Mom, Baby
Copyright 2011 by News4Jax.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.