In two rulings, the Supreme Court gave major victories to same-sex couples. In the first, regarding the Defense of Marriage Act, it overturned a ban on federal benefits for same-sex married couples. In the second, on Proposition 8, a California case, the court dismissed an appeal. This means same-sex couples will be able to get married in that state.
- Death toll jumps to 20 in S. Korea ferry disaster
- Pope Francis washes feet of disabled people
- Desperate passengers sent texts as ferry sank
- Preacher accused of molesting young girls
- Ukraine talks: Call for end to violence
- MH370: Officials await data analysis
- Mother's grief: 'My daughter's in the water'
- New York Yankees honor Nelson Mandela
- Diplomats agree on steps for Ukraine