Edmunds.com recently released the list of the ten safest vehicles for pets.
Here are the SUVs, minivans, hatchbacks and wagons that made the top ten, as well as the reasons why:
- Dodge Journey - "Available features include an in-dash cooler that can be used to store beverages, medicine or pet food."
- Ford Flex - "The crossover offers ample legroom and wide door openings for your pet's easy ingress and egress."
- GMC Acadia - "The Acadia's tri-zone climate control helps monitor temperature in the rear of the vehicle, thus ensuring that pets secured in back aren't exposed to extreme heat."
- Hyundai Tucson - "This Hyundai offers privacy glass that helps block the strong rays of the sun."
- Jeep Liberty - "The Jeep brand offers specialized pet travel gear, including crates, carriers and a ramp."
- Kia Soul - "The Soul comes standard with side curtain airbags that can keep both two-legged and four-legged passengers safe in the event of a collision."
- Mazda 5 - "The Mazda 5 has tethers and anchors in both the second and third rows - helpful since pet safety seats need to be secured in the same way as a child's seat."
- Mitsubishi Outlander - "The SUV also boasts fold-flat seating and stowable third-row seats - both of which increase the amount of room available for larger pets."
- Subaru Tribeca - "Pet owners will appreciate the Tribeca's five-star crash test scores, steering-wheel-mounted auxiliary controls and rear back-up camera."
- Volvo XC70 - "The XC70 is available with a Volvo-designed pet barrier, created to remain intact during a collision.