In two rulings, the Supreme Court gave major victories to same-sex couples. In the first, regarding the Defense of Marriage Act, it overturned a ban on federal benefits for same-sex married couples. In the second, on Proposition 8, a California case, the court dismissed an appeal. This means same-sex couples will be able to get married in that state.
- 2 arrested after cash spills from van in H.K.
- Slain NYPD officer saw work as his ministry
- 'Fearless' indie theaters screen 'The Interview'
- ISIS governor of Mosul killed in airstrikes
- NYPD: Arrests made for threats to officers
- AU: 5 militants killed in attack on AU base
- Putin cancels holiday vacation for Kremlin
- Oregon woman released in East Timor
- Israeli child burned by Molotov cocktail