After the redistricting process earlier this year, Florida House District 11 now covers all of Nassau County, along with northeast Duval County, a strip just west of the Intracoastal Waterway and Atlantic, Neptune and Jacksonville Beach.
Incumbent Janet Atkins defeated Republican challenger Cord Bykrd in the primary and will now face Democrat Dave Smith in November's General Election.
Scroll down to read about the candidates.
HOMETOWN: Fernandina Beach
FAMILY: Married to Doug Adkins (15 years); children Emily and Douglas (age 13 and 10 years)
OCCUPATION: Full-time lawmaker
EDUCATION: Graduated Magna Cum Laude from UNF; BS Information Science; MBA, UNF
POLITICAL EXPERIENCE: Nassau County School Board 1998 to 2008; Florida House of Representatives 2008 to present
WHAT DO YOU SEE AS THE TOP THREE ISSUES IN THIS RACE?
- "Competing for jobs and investment in Northeast Florida. Jacksonville must remain competitive in the global marketplace and place a greater emphasis on attracting new investment and jobs.
- "Creating a connection between the skills of students and the needs of employers. This is critical to attracting investment and new opportunity to Jacksonville. My goal is to increase the percentage of those in Jacksonville with higher education degrees to 40%.
- "Investing in transportation and infrastructure. This is critical to success of businesses. I have been a champion for saving the St. John's River Ferry and will continue to work towards a solution that will allow this important transportation asset to continue service."
HOW DO YOU THINK YOU CAN HELP VOTERS IN A WAY OTHERS IN THIS RACE CAN'T?
- "Everything that is accomplished in Tallahassee is done through relationships. I have worked hard over the last four years to develop relationships with lawmakers and state agencies. It is through these relationships that I have been successful as a problem solver for my constituents. I am the only candidate in this race with the experience and the relationships to help ensure the success of our business community and in meeting the needs of the citizens. I have been endorsed by the incoming Speaker of the House Will Weatherford and have a close working relationship with the Governor's Office."
WHAT WOULD YOU HOPE TO BE REMEMBERED FOR ACCOMPLISHING AFTER SERVING IN THIS OFFICE?
- "It is my hope to have had a role in transforming our publicly-funded system of education to a system that offers parents expanded choices in educating their children; shifts from a teacher-centered system of education to a student-centered system of education; and connects the skills of students with the needs of employers to improve the skills of the workforce."
CAMPAIGN WEBSITE: JanetAdkins.com
HOMETOWN: Neptune Beach
EDUCATION: Bachelor of arts degree in Spanish at Metropolitan State College in Denver
OCCUPATION: Public school teacher
POLITICAL EXPERIENCE: Past president of Concerned Taxpayers of Duval County; ran for Florida House District 18 in 2008 and in 2009 special election for Jacksonville City Council.
CAMPAIGN WEBSITE: ElectDaveSmith.vpweb.com| TWITTER:
This candidate has not responded to WJXT/News4Jax.com's questionnaire.