Modano doesn't dismiss notion of comeback
42-year-old inducted into U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame
Mike Modano did not actually say he was considering a comeback, but he didn't dismiss the idea either.
During a Monday press conference to announce his induction into the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame, the 42-year-old Mondano certainly left the possibility of a comeback open.
He said he started working out on Monday -- not necessarily with a comeback in mind, but thinking "what the heck."
"I don't know," he said, according to NHL.com. "You look at things and you wonder, 'What's the worst thing that could happen?' I mean, I get in better shape. I don't know what's going to happen with the CBA and everything, but I mean, one more year? That kind of intrigues me."
Mondano spent most of his career with the Minnesota North Stars/Dallas Stars franchise, then played one season with the Detroit Red Wings in 2010-2011. He played only 40 games that final season because of a severed wrist tendon. He announced his retirement last September.
"I've never really been able to fully close the door on that deal," he said. "I think my last year in Detroit was a lot of fun, and I wish it would have ended differently, with the injury and everything. I wish it would have ended better, and there's a taste in your mouth about leaving the way it was it still haunts me."
He has not spoken to any teams about a possible comeback, and he's not sure he could work himself back into NHL shape anyway.
"I think I'm in La La Land or Dreamland just thinking about it," he said. "You never know how that would work out, but I can't really see it happening. I think in the back of my mind, I would love to see something work out where I could go back for a year, but I don't know ... I don't see it."