WJXT – TV, the Graham Media Group-owned station in Jacksonville, Florida is looking for an experienced television sports journalist to report, analyze, shoot, produce and anchor stories for TV, digital and social media platforms. We need someone who will go beyond the highlights and tell stories that reach different audiences. You will help grow our digital brand in an innovative and forward looking way. The successful candidate will collaborate with producers and assignment managers to cover pre-planned and breaking news events. This position often comes with a heavy workload that includes year-round sports with more than 60 local high schools, and regional colleges like Florida, Florida State, Georgia and the NFL’s Jaguars.
Candidate must be able to use the knowledge of current events to participate in editorial process and write scripts. Must be able to work with the sports department and news management on generating story ideas and meeting coverage goals.
Other job requirements include:
• Extensive knowledge of local and national sports
• A real interest and determination to stay informed of local high school, college, and pro sports teams
• A self-starter who can take a concept or thought and turn it into a story for digital, social and air
• Participates in editorial planning for story coverage and pitches content ideas
• Shoots and produces audio, video, and written content for all platforms
• Ability to be active and engaging on social media
• Does not hesitate to pitch in across the newsroom for urgent, breaking, or seasonal situations
• Must have the ability to work in fast-paced environment calmly and manage deadline pressures
• Ability to take feedback, follow directions and work within a team format
• Strong storytelling skills and attention to AP & conversational style-writing
• Be active and involved in the community through appearances and promotions
• Must have excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• At least two years’ experience as a sports anchor/reporter/photographer in a TV newsroom
• College degree in journalism or broadcasting preferred
Any offer of employment is conditional upon the successful completion of a pre-employment drug screening, investigative background check, employment/education verifications and reference checks.
WJXT/WCWJ is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In addition to complying with the requirements of federal law, WJXT/WCWJ will comply with applicable state and local laws prohibiting employment discrimination.
Contact: Kathryn Bonfield (firstname.lastname@example.org)