JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – Anyone with an overdue Duval County traffic ticket or any other felony/misdemeanor criminal fine now has the chance to have the collection fee waived. That could amount to a 40 percent savings.
The Duval County Clerk of Courts is joining other county clerk offices in the state by offering Operation Green Light, which waives the 40 percent collections surcharge on cases that have been turned over to a collection agency.
The Duval County Clerk of Courts office will open, as a special offer, Saturday from 8 a.m.-4 p.m. to give drivers or residents a chance to pay their outstanding fines and reinstate their suspended driver licenses.
What you must bring with you:
- It is very important that you obtain a driver transcript printout from the DHSMV--Tax Collector's Office to identify the citations that are required to be paid to reinstate your driver license. You need to bring this printout with you Saturday.
- The Duval County Tax Collector's Office is opening on Saturday, as well, to give anyone an opportunity to go there first, get the printout, which costs about $6.50, and then take it with you to the courthouse.
- If you cannot bring the printout, you can also visit www.flhsmv.gov and click on "Driver License & ID," then click "Driver License Check" to identify outstanding citations. You can bring that list with you instead.
- If your license is suspended, you may be able to pay the $60 reinstatement fee and reinstate your driver license
- No personal checks will be accepted. Cash, money order, cashier check or credit card (3.5 percent service fee on credit cards) WILL be accepted.
Any fines or costs associated with the ticket will still be due, it's only the collection fees that will be waived.
Commonly asked questions:
What if my ticket is not in collections? Can I still get my late fees and interest waived?
No, late fees and interest fees are still due. Only the 40 percent collection charge will be waived. Keep in mind, there are $102 million in outstanding collection fees in Duval County right now.
For example, if you received a $262 ticket for running a red light, you'll save $108.80 in collection agency surcharges.
Can you pay over the phone or online?
No, all tickets must be paid in person and in full on Saturday during Operation Green Light in order to waive the collection surcharge.
Online payments are not available for any overdue fines or tickets in collections.
No payments can be paid by phone.
My ticket isn't late, but I can't come during the week to pay it, can I still come in to the courthouse on Saturday and pay it?
Yes, full payments on all traffic tickets during Operation Green Light can be paid at the Duval County Clerk of Courts office on Saturday.
For more information click here. The Clerk of Courts office is located at 501 West Adams St., Jacksonville, Florida 32202.
The Tax Collector's Office, where you can buy a printout of your citations, is located at 231 E. Forsyth St., Jacksonville, FL 32202.