Watch out for 3 most frequent fraud tactics targeting Floridians
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – According to a recent report from the Federal Trade Commission’s Consumer Sentinel Network, debt collection, imposter scams, and identity theft top the list of the most reported fraud categories in Florida.
It seems there’s a new fraud scheme every week. Chief Financial Officer Jimmy Patronis is warning Floridians of a fraud epidemic in Florida.
“We are committed to continuing to work with state and local officials so we can improve investigative efforts to combat fraud in Florida," Patronis said in a news release. "We must protect our consumers, especially seniors, from financial scams and identity theft.”
The best defense against scammers is knowing how they’ll attack:
- Scammers claiming to work for or be affiliated with a government agency;
- Scammers posing as a friend or relative with an emergency need for money;
- Scammers posing as a romantic interest;
- Scammers claiming to be a computer technician offering technical support;
- Scammers claiming to be affiliated with a private entity (e.g., a charity or company). Learn how to spot an imposter scam.
If you or a loved feel like you have been the victim of fraud, visit FraudFreeFlorida.com to report it immediately. The more scams are reported, the better the chance to stop it.
Copyright 2019 by WJXT News4Jax - All rights reserved.