JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Thanks to the tax free holiday and early Labor Day sales, August is a great time to score some deals.
There are a lot of things you should be buying this month if you want to save, in addition to a few things you should avoid because they'll be cheaper later this year.
So what should sales should you be looking to take advantage of this month?
- We're pretty lucky because here in Florida we can wear summer clothes almost year round. And right now, summer clothes are on sale. Stores like Kohls, JCPenney & Old Navy are clearing out their summer inventory and it's a great time to stock up.
- Shoes are another item on sale this month. The pricey stores mark down their inventory, so do places like Payless. Sandals and flip flops are among the cheapest. Let's face it though, we will be wearing them here with our hot weather for awhile.
- Laptops are another great thing to buy in August. If you can, hold out for Black Friday when laptop deals are at their best. Otherwise August's back-to-school sales will provide you with the next best opportunity for deals.
Okay, let's talk about what not to buy in August and why.
- Grills top the list. If your grill is on its last leg, see if it can make it a few more weeks. Labor Day sales are right around the corner and your wallet will be glad you waited.
- It's the same way with TVs. You'll see some deals for Labor Day, but if you can hold out for Black Friday or even the Super Bowl sales, you'll score much better deals.
- If you're wanting to upgrade your Apple iPhone or iPad, wait. Apple is expected to unveil its latest models in September. When it does, the older models' prices will likely drop.
Copyright 2018 by WJXT News4Jax - All rights reserved.