JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – "Oh Say Can You Sing," Channel 4's annual singing competition, is back for its fifth year.
Singers from all over Northeast Florida and Southeast Georgia will be able to audition for WJXT's judges and producers on Wednesday, April 11, at the 5 & Dime Theater on 112 East Adams Street. Auditions will be from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. and 3-5 p.m. Contestants must sign in before or during the audition windows.
Each contestant will have one opportunity to perform their song before the judges and studio audience.
Judges will rate contestants based on overall performance. This includes not only vocal talent, but also stage presence, camera presence, style, charisma and personality.
Once a contestant begins singing, they will be given only 1 minute to perform for the producers and the audience. The clock will start once you start singing and will continue to run even if you start over. No extra time will be given unless the producer determines the problem to be technical in origin and detrimental to the contestant’s performance or the production.
It is the responsibility of the individual contestant to continue the performance unless informed otherwise. In short “the show must go on" unless the contestant is told to stop.
If you have music accompanying your performance, we will be able to accommodate you if you bring a CD or a digital playback version (MP3 player or cell phone).
The top contestants will be invited to callback auditions, so make sure you leave a working phone number and email address. Callback auditions are by invitation only. “Don’t call us, we will call you.”
Those invited to the second round will perform and the judges will pick four finalists who will sing live on a June 28 prime-time special. Viewers will then have five minutes to vote for a winner, live on uSay via the News4Jax app and website. The singer with the most votes will be crowned the Oh Say Can You Sing champion and take home a $500 prize. The winner will sing the National Anthem live on Channel 4's 4th of July Fireworks Spectacular broadcast.
Anyone auditioning will get one minute to sing a song of their choosing in front of our judges. For time purposes, we ask anyone who plans on auditioning to not sing the national anthem at the audition. Contestants only have one minute to show off their voice and we do not want to offend anyone by cutting the National Anthem short, so please come prepared to sing a different song at your audition.
Official WJXT Oh Say Can You Sing contest rules
• General. By submitting an entry to this contest, brought to you by WJXT and Papa John’s, the entrant acknowledges and agrees to all of these official contest rules. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Void where prohibited. By entering the contest, entrants agree to waive any right to claim any ambiguity or error in these Official Rules, or the contest itself, and agree to be bound by these Official Rules and by all decisions of the Station, whose decisions are binding and final. Failure to comply with these Official Rules or any contest specific rules may result in disqualification from the contest.
• Eligibility. The contest is open only to legal U.S. residents who reside in the local viewing area, and is void wherever prohibited or restricted by applicable federal or state laws and regulations. Employees of Station and Sponsor and their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, directors, agents, advertising and promotion agencies, and members of these employees’ immediate families (spouses, parents, children, and siblings and their spouses) and those living in the same household with these employees, are not eligible.
• How To Enter. Contest begins at the time of their initial audition on April 11th. Deadline to enter is 6 p.m. April 11th. To enter, contestants must audition for WJXT producers at our scheduled and promoted audition times. Entrants must be the registered subscriber of the e-mail or telephone account from which the entry is made. You may enter once during the contest period. Multiple entries received from any person or e-mail address or telephone number will void all such additional entries. Entries generated by a script, macro or other automated means will be disqualified. Entries that are incomplete, illegible or corrupted are void and will not be accepted. All entries become the property of the Station and will not be acknowledged or returned. By checking the relevant box or selection in the registration form, entrants agree that the Sponsor may contact the entrant via email with information about pre-selected goods or services. If you do not wish to receive these materials do not check the relevant box in the entry form. If at any time you do not wish to receive these materials in the future, please use the unsubscribe procedures contained in the email message.
Station will reject and delete any entry that it discovers to be false or fraudulent. The Station will disqualify any entry from individuals who do not meet the eligibility requirements.
• Selection of Winners Three potential winners will be chosen by a team of WJXT producers. Contest finalists will be required to perform live on the 4th of July. A 4th potential winner (finalist) will be chosen by an online vote through the station website. A single winner will be chosen by viewers through an online voting process. (See Oh Say Can You Sing Contest rules)
• Prize. $500 and the opportunity to sing the National Anthem during WJXT’s 4th of July fireworks spectacular. Unless otherwise stated, all prizes or prize certificates must be picked up at Station (at the address listed below) during normal business hours. If the winner of a contest is under the age of 18, a parent or legal guardian must claim the prize. Winners may be asked to show a photo ID. There will be no substitution, transfer or cash equivalent for prizes, except at the sole discretion of Station, which may substitute prizes of comparable value. The odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received. Payments of all federal, state and local taxes related to the award of the prize are solely the responsibility of the winner. The winner may be required to fully complete and submit an IRS Form W-9 for receipt of the prize.
• Disclaimer and Representations. Winner(s) assumes all liability for any injuries or damages caused or claimed to be caused by his or her participation in the contest and/or the acceptance and/or use of any prize, and releases the Station and Sponsor and their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, directors, agents, and employees, from any such liability. Neither the Station nor the Sponsor, nor their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, directors, agents and employees are responsible for: the failure of any entry to be received by the Station due to computer failures of any kind, traffic congestion on the internet or at any website, telecommunications, network, electronic, telephone or mobile service outages, delays, busy signals, or any equipment malfunctions or other technical difficulties that may prevent the Station from receiving any entry submission; entries that are stolen, misdirected, garbled, delayed by computer transmissions, lost, late or damaged; any injury or damage to the entrant's or any other person's computer related to or resulting from participation or downloading any materials in this contest; or any human errors, any inaccurate transcription of entry information, errors in any promotional or marketing materials or errors in these Official Rules. If applicable, text message and data rates may apply, and the Station is not responsible for any fees incurred by an entrant for any method of entry. The Station, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to disqualify any person tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Station’s website. Failure to comply with the Official Rules of the contest may result in an entrant’s disqualification and/or forfeiture of any prize or prizes. All decisions of the Station’s management with respect to the contest are final.
Station reserves the right to cancel, terminate or modify the contest if it is not capable of completion as planned, including, without limitation, as a result of infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention or technical failures of any sort, or for any reason whatsoever. The Station reserves the right to make changes in the rules of the contest, including, without limitation, the substitution of a prize of equivalent value, which will become effective upon announcement or posting. If due to circumstances beyond the control of the Station, any event related to the contest or prize is delayed, rescheduled, postponed, canceled or has a change of venue, the Station reserves the right, but is not obligated, to cancel or modify the contest and shall not be required to award a substitute prize.
Entry constitutes permission (except where prohibited by law) to use winner's name, home city and state, likeness and/or voice for purposes of advertising, promotion and publicity without additional compensation. The winner's name and city of residence will be posted online and mailed to those who request it.
• Winner Announcement. For the name of the winner(s), send a self-addressed stamped envelope for receipt within 60 days following the end of the contest period to Station at 4 Broadcast Place, Jacksonville FL, 32207. Attn: Contest Winner List, or request it online at email@example.com. Be sure to specify the name of the contest for which you are requesting the list of winner(s).