Time to Dish: Grillless Drunken Ribs & Green Pepper Tomato Salad
Drunken Ribs without a Grill!
2each St. Louis Style Racks of Ribs
2 qt Beef Stock
12 oz Dark Beer
3cloves garlic, rough chopped
4 sprigs fresh thyme
½ tsp liquid smoke
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp crushed red pepper
1 T Worcestershire Sauce
2T Chili Powder
2 tsp kosher salt
1 T fresh ground black pepper
2 C high quality BBQ Sauce
1. Pre-heat oven to 250 degrees.
2. Combine all ingredients except ribs in a stock pot and bring to a boil. Remove from heat
3. Meanwhile, lay ribs flat in a large heavy baking pan. Cut racks in half or thirds if necessary.
4. Pour beer mixture over the ribs. Cover pan tightly with foil and place in the oven. Slow braise for 1 ½ hours or until tender. This can be done up to 2 days in advance. Remove from the oven and refrigerate up to 2 days until ready to serve.
5. To Finish: Remove ribs from braising liquid and pat dry. Heat broiler to high and set the rack 6 inches from the heat. Coat ribs in a high quality BBQ sauce and heat approximately 5 minutes per side, basting frequently with sauce.
Green Pepper and Tomato Salad
2 green bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1 1/2-inch dice
3 vine-ripe tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 small onion, chopped
1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, coarsely chopped
1/2 lemon, juiced (1 tablespoon)
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Coarse salt and black pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/2 a palm full
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1. Combine first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl.
2. Combine remaining ingredients and stir to dissolve sugar.
3. Fold dressing into salad mixture and serve.
Copyright 2016 by WJXT News4Jax - All rights reserved.