Miami's Wynwood area no longer active Zika zone
Gov. Scott announces 'Dine Out Wynwood' to support local businesses
MIAMI – Gov. Rick Scott said Miami's Wynwood arts district is no longer considered a zone of active Zika transmission.
Health officials in late July said the neighborhood north of downtown Miami was the first place in the U.S. mainland to have mosquitoes transmitting the virus to people.
Scott said Monday that it's been 45 days since the last Zika infection was reported in Wynwood.
Scott said aggressive mosquito control, code enforcement and cooperation from residents and businesses that drained standing water helped stop the spread of the virus.
Local officials said they expect the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to lift a travel advisory warning pregnant women and their partners to avoid Wynwood.
Scott said officials are working to stop Zika's spread in Miami Beach. The state Health Department late Friday said the infection zone now includes most of the 7-mile-long island.
Scott also announced Monday a “Dine Out Wynwood” event on Sept. 30 to support businesses in Wynwood. Floridians and visitors are encouraged to travel to Wynwood to visit the local restaurants and businesses that have been affected by the Zika virus, and Scott will be in Wynwood to participate in the event.
“When we announced Wynwood as the first place in our nation to have local transmission of the Zika virus, Wynwood was immediately sent into the national spotlight,” Scott said. “Over the past few weeks, Floridians have worked together to prevent the spread of mosquitoes, take proper precautions to protect one another, and support local businesses in Wynwood. We saw the success of this hard work each time we announced a reduction of the zone in Wynwood, and we see it clearly today now that the entire Wynwood zone has been lifted.”
Scott said Floridians must work together now that the zone has been lifted to help the Wynwood community recover.
“We must also all do our part to remain vigilant and keep the Wynwood zone lifted,” Scott said. “Everyone must continue to take precautions by dumping standing water and wearing bug spray so we can protect pregnant women who are most at-risk for the Zika virus.”
Scott emphasized that the lifting of the Wynwood zone does not mean the Zika fight is over for Florida.
“We have more than 93 cases of locally acquired Zika in Florida,” Scott said. “Despite this, the federal government still cannot agree on spending money to stomp out this serious disease. Florida may have been the first location to have locally transmitted Zika, but we will not be the last. Zika is a national issues, and I expect Congress to immediately pass a funding bill.”
Last week, Scott announced an additional $10 million, for a total of $36.2 million, in state funds to be spent on Zika preparedness and prevention in Florida.
Copyright 2016 by WJXT News4Jax. The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.