Firefighters cut off gas leak
8 homes evacuated
ORANGE PARK, Fla. – Orange Park Fire Department personnel responded to a natural gas leak on Saturday morning at approximately 9:30 a.m., according to the fire chief Ty Silcox. An emergency call placed to 911 dispatchers alerted them to the incident in the 1400 block of Smith Street.
Two engine companies, and two ambulances and a Chief were dispatched to the incident. The Orange Park Police Department and Clay County Hazmat team also responded.
Upon arrival, Silcox said initial crews reported a small leak from a half-inch natural gas feeder line.
No one was injured during the incident. Eight homes were evacuated until Teco Gas Company and fire crews could secure the leak.
The incident was reported under control at 10:38, and units cleared the scene at 10:52. The cause of the incident was from utility work being performed in the area that severed the natural gas line. All residents were allowed to return to their homes.
Copyright 2012 by News4Jax.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.