JEA worker shocked, hospitalized
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – A JEA worker was taken to a hospital after being shocked Monday morning.
Jacksonville Fire-Rescue was called to the 900 block of Hamilton Street in the Murray Hill area of the Westside at about 10 a.m.
A witness said the man fell about 15 feet out of a bucket and hit the ground after being shocked.
JEA safety expert John Ridner said the worker came in contact with a low-voltage power line while doing transition work to change out the lines.
"I was hanging clothes up on the clothes line in the backyard, and I saw him up in the bucket truck working on the power lines," witness Carol Lightfoot said. "And he began to scream and the bucket was bouncing, and then he fell out to the ground. I went out there and called 911, and the workers came to be with him as well, and the rescue came and he was able to say his name. We were praying he would be OK, and I believe he will."
A safety line snapped, which is why the man fell to the ground, witnesses said.
"I don't know if I would call it a failure," Ridner said. "Again, the equipment looks good. It was basically a lanyard that had to be tied off in that bucket is what he was hanging from. Whether that came in contact with a sharp edge or was burned, we're not sure what caused it to break."
The man was conscious and alert and was taken to Shands Jacksonville Medical Center.
His identity was not immediately released. JEA said he has been with the company for more than six years.
JEA said it is investigating.
Copyright 2012 by News4Jax.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.