Cigarette may have caused small apartment fire
JFRD: No injuries reported, $2,000 in damages
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – A carelessly discarded cigarette may be to blame for a small fire at an apartment complex on the Southside early Wednesday morning.
JFRD said the fire started at the Bentley Green Apartments on Princeton Square Boulevard, near I-95 and Baymeadows Road, sometime after midnight.
A resident awoke from his sleep to the smell of smoke and called 911.
The small fire created a big hole in the wall of one of the apartment buildings, causing about $2,000 in damages according to JFRD.
Firefighters remained on scene through 4 a.m. cleaning debris left behind from the fire and water.
No one was displaced from their homes due to the fire.
JFRD has not confirmed the cause of the fire, but a resident of the apartment says firefighters told him it was an accident and that a cigarette may be the cause.
Copyright 2014 by News4Jax.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.