Fireworks explode in bedroom, killing woman, dog
Auburndale police say adult son burned while trying to save mother
AUBURNDALE, Fla. – A 49-year-old woman has died and her 25-year-old son was also burned during a Fourth of July fireworks accident, according to Auburndale police.
Auburndale police officers helped the Auburndale Fire Department and Polk County Fire Rescue at 8:51 p.m. Friday during a reported fire at 226 Eaker Street
A family get-together was going on at the home with a number of people attending.
Police said Kathryn Flint, 49, went inside the home to ready multiple large fireworks, or mortars, that had previously been placed on top of a bed in a bedroom, and was going to take them outside to set them off.
At about 8:40 p.m., while she was inside the bedroom with two dogs also present, there was an apparent accidental ignition of at least one mortar, police said.
When the mortar exploded, it set off others inside the bedroom, resulting in the ignition of multiple other mortars. Authorities said those fireworks were all set off, causing multiple explosions inside the room and a resulting fire.
Upon hearing the commotion, Flint's son, 25-year-old Christopher Flint of Winter Haven, went to the room to help his mother.
Investigators said Christopher Flint went to a bedroom window, removed an air conditioner and was able to remove his mother from the room, which was burning.
The explosions and fire severely burned Kathryn Flint and burned Christopher Flint as well. Police said a dog was killed in the incident and another was burned and removed for further care by an officer of the Polk County Sheriff's Office Animal Control Section.
Kathryn Flint was flown by medical helicopter to Orlando Regional Medical Center, where she later died.
Christopher Flint was transported by ambulance to Lakeland Regional Medical Center.
Copyright 2014 by Graham Media Group. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.