65ºF

Ravens' Rice shown hitting fiancée in video

Running back currently serving 2-game suspension

A new video has surfaced apparently showing Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice punching his then-fiancée in the face during an incident inside an Atlantic City casino's elevator in February.

TMZ Sports

posted the video early Monday morning. Rice is currently serving a two-game suspension for the Feb. 15 incident after security video from the Revel Casino originally surfaced showing him dragging Janay Palmer, whom he later married, from the elevator as she was apparently unconscious. The suspension was seen as too light in many quarters and earned the NFL criticism as being too lenient when it comes to domestic violence. In response, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell revamped the league's policies regarding domestic violence. The new video posted by TMZ appears to show Rice striking Palmer, who then hits him back. Rice then hits Palmer again, and she falls to the ground. The elevator then comes to a stop and Rice drags her out. A Ravens spokesman declined comment to ESPN on the new video, but an NFL spokesman said that the league hadn't seen the new video before levying Rice's suspension. "We requested from law enforcement any and all information about the incident, including the video from inside the elevator," league spokesman Greg Aiello said regarding the video. "That video was not made available to us and no one in our office has seen it until today." However, according to TMZ Sports, an employee of Revel, which closed last week, said he was working there at the time and said the NFL saw the elevator footage before imposing the two-game suspension. In the NFL's revamped policy against domestic violence, first-time offenders will be suspended for six games while players will receive a lifetime ban for a second offense. "I made the biggest mistake of my life," Rice said in a news conference when the Ravens returned to camp in late July. "I want to own it." Besides his suspension, Rice was also fined more than $500,000.

In May, he was accepted into a pretrial diversion program that allows some defendants to avoid formal prosecution if they attend the program for at least a year. If Rice completes the program, the charge of third-degree aggravated assault he originally faced would be dismissed. The arrest, however, would stay on his record, but without a conviction.

27934014