Man shot, killed after standoff with SWAT team

Jacksonville police say man a suspect in killing on Friday

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – The Jacksonville Sheriff's Office says a man suspected of murder is dead. Police shot and killed the man Saturday night after a stand off with the SWAT team.

Officers were called out to the Plaza Apartments in Arlington around 11:00 p.m. Saturday, that's near Fort Caroline Road and University Boulevard North. Police had been searching for the suspect in the murder of a man that happened on the Northside Friday night.

The man they believed was behind the murder -- made confessions to people throughout the day. That led detectives to getting a search warrant and an arrest warrant and around 8:00 p.m. Saturday, the SWAT team was called in to serve the arrest and search warrants at the Plaza Apartments.

Police say the man they were looking for identified himself and told them he wasn't going to come out without a fight, prompting them to call more SWAT team members and SWAT negotiators to the scene.

Tom Hackney, Director of Homeland Security for the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office says, "So they were keeping a perimeter on the apartment about that time, the suspect threw the front door open, came out screaming and pointing a dark black object at the detectives who were around the front door. Fearing for their life those detectives fired their issued rifle at that subject multiple times, striking him in the torso and the head."

Hackney says Jacksonville Fire Rescue Department was called to the scene and the man was pronounced dead at the scene. As for the object in the suspect's hand, Hackney says it was not a gun.

"He did use a firearm during the commission of the murder. What this appears to be, and again this is still a fluid thing we're looking through, there's a box that he shoved in a black sock. So it appears that it's a squared off object, in a darkened doorway, yelling what he did."

Police are not releasing the name of the man who was killed or the officers involved.
The search for that suspect all began after a murder Friday night at a home near West 27th Street and Chase Avenue, which is near Moncrief Road and Myrtle Avenue North.

Police say the suspect knew the two men shot and that they were all good friends who were playing a card game together. Police say during the card game one man pulled out a pistol and shot his friend in the head. Another man was shot there as well and was able to escape.