French fry grease caused Westside house fire, teenager says
Fire began after Cameron Rogers made after-school snack
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – A teenager said french fry grease caused the kitchen of his Westside home to go up in flames.
The Jacksonville Fire and Rescue responded to the fire around 5 p.m. Friday on Mercado Drive.
Cameron Rogers said he was making an after-school snack of fries when he left the grease on too long, starting the fire.
Rogers said he tried to put the fire out with water, but couldn't catch up with the flames that were rapidly moving through the kitchen.
"I was going to cook some fries, turned on the grease and left it on too long and it caught fire," Rogers said. "After it caught fire we tried to put it out with water, but it spread around the kitchen so we called 911 after that."
The Red Cross is helping Cameron's family and their two pets with a hotel for the night.
Copyright 2015 by News4Jax.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.