JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – Counselors from the Department of Children and Families visited a dozen day cares, and more than half were hit with violations during their latest inspections.
Most of the violations were paperwork related. The owner of one of the day cares downtown said its violations were a misunderstanding.
Kinder Kollege Learning Center had three violations, including an expired background check. But with new policies in effect, the owner was able to apply for an exemption.
"They didn't have the letter, and DCF wasn't able to just print it out, but they were able to contact Tallahassee to verify that her exemption was granted back in November," owner Natasha Griffin said.
The day care was also cited for not having a credentialed director, but Griffin said the facility's previous director recently left to start her own business.
"When we hire someone we know is right, that's when we'll bring someone else in," Griffin said. "I'm still here on a day-to-day basis directing my own facility."
Griffin said her day care hasn't had a violation in three years and credits her quality service employee, who makes sure the day care complies with DCF standards.
"She's basically checking attendance, paperwork, quality standards and things like this on a day-to-day basis." Griffin said. "They're well taken care of on a day-to-day basis -- high scoring when they get into Duval County schools."
TDH 24-hour Learning Academy on the Westside received three violations, including safety and equipment violations because, according to the report, the door of the sink in the bathroom was broken off the hinge, the kitchen faucets were leaking and the bedding mats in the preschool room were torn.
Counselors from DCF said those violations could pose a health hazard to children. A staff member said all those violations were corrected at the time of the inspection.
Other day cares with violations:
- ?Abundantly Blessed Kids Inc. on North McDuff Avenue: Ground cover under slides and swings not maintained
- Tender Loving Care Learning Center on Yellow Bluff Road: Facility did not have documentation to show enrollment in the intro course in child care for staff for at least 90 days
- The Bridge of Northeast Florida Inc. on West 8th Street: Facility did not have documentation to show enrollment in the intro course in child care for staff for at least 90 days
- La Petite Academy on Argyle Forest Boulevard: Employee did not complete the 40 clock-hour intro child care training requirement
- A Bright Beginning Child Care Inc. on Deer Lake Court: Child did not wash his hands after toileting
Day cares with no violations:
- Super Duck Child Care Inc. on Lane Avenue South
- KidsPark on Touchton Road
- Little Temples Child Care Center No. 2 on Merrill Road
- Young Hearts PK 2 on North Main Street
- Cinderella Child Development Center Inc. on East 27th Street
Each week, News4Jax will review reports provided by DCF. To report concerns or complaints about a child care facility, call 904-485-9564.
You can also go to http://www.myflfamilies.com/service-programs/child-care/parent-resources and select "Provider Search" to search for any local child care facility.