JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – Rodent droppings, dangerous playgrounds and overheated facilities are a few of the violations that one local day care received during its latest Department of Children and Families inspection.
Little Disciples in Training Christian Childcare II on Winton Drive received 21 violations during a routine inspection.
A counselor with DCF reported that the day care was at 83 degrees during her inspection. A staff member had to turn on the air conditioning to cool the place down.
The inspection report noted that two children were sleeping on broken cots and all eight children that were napping had no linens, pillows or blankets, which is a violation.
The counselor moved on to the kitchen, were she found rodent droppings inside the fridge and a dead roach in the kitchen. She also noted that dirt and dust were on unsealed food in the pantry. The owner was forced to throw out all of the possibly contaminated food.
Out on the playground, several more violations were documented that could put kids at risk. According to the report, several exposed nails were spotted on the playground, along with broken plastic toys, exposed electrical wires and sharp jagged metal on the swing set pole.
Diane LeCounty, the owner of Little Disciples in Training, declined an interview but said she was aware of the violations and has already made the necessary changes to put her day care in full compliance with DCF standards.
The damaged or dangerous playground equipment mentioned in the inspection report had been roped off so the children can't get to them.
LeCount wouldn't let New4Jax inside to check on the other changes but said parents don't have a problem with the way she runs her day care.
DCF counselors said they have plans to re-inspect Little Disciples in Training to make sure the violations have been corrected.
Other day cares that had recent violations:
?Annie Bell's Learning Academy LLC on Cassat Avenue had four violations:
- Live roach in 2-year-old class and two to four small live roaches in the kitchen.
- Owner did not have written emergency preparedness plan. Provider wrote up plan and posted copy in every classroom during inspection.
- Facility did not have required two credentialed staff members. Day care has one, but needs to verify second staff member.
- Employee abuse and neglect reporting form expired.
Lula's Kids on West Edgewood Avenue had six violations:
- Counselor observed one bathroom to have no paper towels. Staff placed paper towels in the bathroom during the inspection.
- Counselor observed the fire extinguishers in the facility to have expired in April 2015.
- There was no documentation, maintained for one year, that routine inspections were conducted at least every other month of all supports, above and below the ground.
- Counselor observed one child that did not have an enrollment form on file.
- For that same child, there was not enrollment date or signature on enrollment form, because there was no form documented.
- Attendance record did not include one child at the day care.
Blooming Blossoms Daycare Center Inc. on East 21st Street had one violation:
- Staff member's child abuse and neglect form was expired. New form was signed during the inspection.
The following day cares had clean inspection reports:
- Dayspring Christian Academy and Preschool on Dunn Avenue
- St. Giles Children's Center on Foxridge Road in Orange Park
- Building Blocks Academy LLC on 3rd Avenue in Callahan
- Children of Liberty Child Care Center on East 19th Street
- A.R.T. Learning Center on Fort Caroline Road
- Chappell at Florida State College on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Episcopal Early Learning Center at Good Shepherd on Stockton Street
- Hodges Boulevard Presbyterian Church Preschool on Hodges Boulevard
- Little Stepping Stones Christian Academy on Sprinkle Drive
Each week, News4Jax will review reports provided by DCF. To report concerns or complaints about a child care facility, call 904-485-9564.
You can also go to http://www.myflfamilies.com/service-programs/child-care/parent-resources and select "Provider Search" to search for any local child care facility.