6-year-old hospitalized after mobile home fire

Boy taken to UF Health Jacksonville, transferred to burn unit in Gainesville

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – A 6-year-old boy injured when his family's mobile home went up in flames early Thursday morning was transferred to the burn center at Shands Hospital in Gainesville. The boy's mother and older sister made it out safely.

Jacksonville Fire-Rescue responded to 5536 Connie Jean Road about 6:50 a.m. Firefighters were able to contain the fire in 20 minutes. 

The injured boy's grandmother said his name is Allen Kibodeaux and, "He's handling it very well." She told News4Jax Allen's wounds have been 

Allen suffered second-degree burns to his shoulder and was taken to UF Health Jacksonville before being transported to the Gainesville burn unit. Allen's grandfather, Earl Kibodeaux, said the boy's burns are similar to a bad sunburn. He said Allen was talking and is alert.

Allen's grandmother, Jacklyn Kibodeaux, said his wounds had been properly cleaned Thursday afternoon, and he will not need surgery. She said doctors anticipate he can be released from the hospital Friday.

One of the family's dogs died in the fire and the second is missing. Allen's father was on his way to work when the fire started and didn't learn of the incident until much later in the day.

Earl Kibodeaux said he will never forget the feeling he had when he turned on the news Thursday.

"When I seen it this morning, I knew right off the bat which one it was," he said. "I was more worried about my grandkids than the trailer or anything. As long as they got out safe, the rest of the place can be replaced."

Allen, his mother, and his 10-year-old sister, Kylia, made it out of the trailer.


A neighbor said he got a call from his wife, who saw the blaze while leaving for work.

"I came out barefooted, and by the time I got to the corner, I could see flames through the woods," Randall King said. "The first thing I did was run up to make sure nobody was in the house. Within a matter of five to 10 minutes, the whole place was like a big fireball."

The state fire marshal's office is still investigating the cause of the fire, but family members said they believe it started somewhere near the stove.

The inside of the trailer was basically gutted.

The children's mother said not only was the trailer their home, but the children were also being home-schooled there. They were able to save a couple of items, but other than that everything was lost.

"Like I said, a life is hard to replace. But material goods, they can be replaced," Earl Kibodeaux said. "So, I'm very grateful. I'm grateful to the Lord today."

Family members are putting up the rest of the family in a hotel. 

About the Authors: