Intruder forces lockdown of federal facility in Brunswick

Incident began with chase of car stolen in central Georgia

BRUNSWICK, Ga. – A man was arrested early Thursday morning inside the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center in Brunswick after a chase of a car stolen from Bleckley County in central Georgia, that began about 4 a.m.

According to Glynn County police, two people took off on foot when police came upon the car parked on Old Jesup Road. Officers said ammunition was found in the car, so there was concern that the subjects were armed.

At 7:45 a.m., police got a call from a woman who said a strange man was at her door asking to use the phone. Officers caught up with 22-year-old Taylor Brooks just outside the federal training facility and saw him climb the security fence. FLETC security was notified, and the facility was put on lockdown.  

Glynn County K-9 officers and SWAT team were called to help with the search, along with the Georgia Highway Patrol.

Glynn County Sheriff's Office booking photos of Taylor Brooks and Cassandra Mullis
Glynn County Sheriff's Office booking photos of Taylor Brooks and Cassandra Mullis

When Brooks was located about 8:30 a.m., he was not armed.

The second person believed to have run from the stolen car, Cassandra Mullis, 19, was arrested about 15 minutes later on the porch of another house in the area.

"When I stepped out, I saw the pillows had been moved, and I found them on the bottom of the floor," the homeowner told News4Jax. "Then I noticed there was a person there. I looked closer, and said, 'Who are you and what are you doing?'"

The homeowner said the woman claimed she was hiding from a man who had tried to rape her. He continued to talk to her, but began to notice that her story didn't add up and he called police.

Local charges against Brooks are pending, and he may also face federal charges. There were arrest warrants from Bleckley County charging Brooks with five counts of car theft, suspected carjacking and burglary. Among the items stolen in the burglary were guns and ammunition. 

It wasn't known if Mullis would face any charges.

The lockout was lifted before 9 a.m.