Man loses hand in Dania Beach fireworks accident
2nd man loses fingers in separate accident
DANIA BEACH, Fla. – A Margate man lost his hand Saturday while setting off fireworks for the Fourth of July.
According to the Broward Sheriff's Department of Fire Rescue, bystanders reported that the 24-year-old man was holding the firework in his hand when it went off.
Paramedics arrived in the 100 block of Northwest 13th Avenue in Dania Beach and found the man on the ground bleeding profusely.
According to an incident report, Cornelius Brown was holding a small firework in his hand when it suddenly exploded.
A witness said she heard Brown scream and a large amount of blood was coming out of his left hand.
The woman wrapped a towel around Brown's hand until paramedics arrived.
Police said Brown lost most of his left hand above the wrist. He was taken to Broward Health Medical Center in Fort Lauderdale in critical condition.
In a separate fireworks incident, a 32-year-old man had his fingers blown off Sunday. He was dropped off by friends at Florida Medical Center with additional burns and shrapnel in his face.
The man was transferred to Broward Health Medical Center, where he underwent surgery Sunday night. Officials said he was being uncooperative, so details about the incident are unknown.
Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10
Copyright 2015 by Local10.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.