Mother, daughter, 3 dogs escape Northside fire
Firefighters put out flames in five minutes
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – An elderly woman, her daughter and their three dogs escaped a house fire that broke out Tuesday morning in a neighborhood just south of Trout Creek.
Heavy smoke was showing when Jacksonville Fire and Rescue arrived at the home at 1004 Stark Street just after 8 a.m. Residents used a garden hose on the fire until firefighters arrived. They had it completely out in less than five minutes
Firefighters traced the cause of the fire to a cigarette that fell under some clothes in a bedroom.
A woman who helped the elderly woman out of the house was worried about oxygen tanks she knew were inside.
"There were six tanks of oxygen in the hallway," Monica Mccauley said. "My main thing ... was keeping it from the hallway because it would have blew up."
The mother and daughter were treated at the scene, but did not require hospitalization. The fire damage was confined to two bedrooms.
Copyright 2015 by News4Jax.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.