Man arrested in killing near East Arlington Burger King

Man collapses in restaurant with gunshot wound, dies later at hospital


JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – Police arrested a 31-year-old transient in connection with last month's shooting of a man who staggered into an East Arlington Burger King and later died.

Luciano Brewer, 38, walked into the fast-food restaurant at the corner of Atlantic and Hodges boulevards about 9 p.m. Sept. 8, fell down and didn't ask for help. Rescue was called and the victim was taken to UF Health Jacksonville, where he died of a gunshot wound.

Police arrested William James, 31, on Sept. 22 after contacting him in Green Cove Springs. According to the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office report, after the shooting, James and another a man named Michael Forte drove away in James' vehicle. Police on Monday announced Forte is wanted on a warrant for armed burglary.

The JSO jail website lists only one previous arrest for James: a 2006 incident with charges of disorderly intoxication and resisting arrest. 

Previous booking photo of Luciano Brewer
Previous booking photo of Luciano Brewer

According to court records, Brewer (pictured) had several previous arrests and was on probation for a cocaine conviction last year.

Police never said where the shooting took place, but the violent crime shook up people in the area.

One woman, who asked not to be identified, was sitting in the drive-thru with her children in the back seat and heard gunshots and saw a trail of blood outside the restaurant.

"My children and I were all in an SUV," the woman remembered. "Just as I was looking away in my rear-view mirror, we heard the gunshots. There were four, they were consecutive and it just sounded like something dropping. We heard metal. It was very scary,"

She said as she and her children waited, pinned in from behind by another car, she could hear the chaos that started in the restaurant.

"Instantly we heard employees, people from inside the drive-thru window yelling, 'Shots fired! Call 911,'" she said. "All I could tell you is it wasn't even 3 seconds before we saw the blood everywhere behind the counter. I witnessed people hopping over the counter trying to take cover inside."

The woman said that she was worried about driving because she didn't know where the shots were coming from, but decided she had to get out of the parking lot.

"I kind of creeped up a little to see if anyone was there. We inched up a little further and further. I just prayed. Then we just drove, we drove," the woman said. "I'm so sorry for the loss, I'm so sorry, I am. But I'm blessed that we were saved."