French Toast Bread Pudding with Mascarpone Mousse
By Jamey Evoniuk, Executive Chef of The Candy Apple Café & Cocktails and HOBNOB (opening soon)
1 loaf of challah bread or brioche
1/4 pound butter
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup pecan pieces
1 quart half and half
1 cup white sugar sugar
Cinnamon to taste
Zest of half an orange
1 vanilla bean
8 oz. mascarpone cheese
4 oz. cream cheese
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup powdered sugar
100% maple syrup
1. Cut loaf into 1-inch cubes and store in a large bowl. Set aside.
2. Combine eggs, half-and-half, cinnamon, orange zest, and white sugar in a separate bowl.
3. Split the vanilla bean and scrape the seeds into the egg mixture.
4. Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add brown sugar, golden raisins and pecans. Stir to combine and pour over the cubed bread.
5. Add the egg mixture to the bread and toss until bread is thoroughly coasted.
6. Cover cubed bread with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Pour bread pudding mixture into a large glass dish or individual ramekins.
3. Bake for 30-45 minutes, or until the bread pudding is golden brown on top.
4. Combine mascarpone cheese, cream cheese, vanilla extract and powdered sugar in a bowl; beat with an electric mixer until fluffy mousse forms.
5. Allow bread pudding to cool slightly, then pipe mascarpone mousse on top. Garnish with fresh berries, maple syrup, and mint crystals.