ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. – People living in the city of St. Augustine will use new recycling carts starting the beginning of November.
Carts were delivered to more than 4,600 households last week. Use of the green recycling carts won't start until the week of November 2.
The city hopes the new carts will encourage more recycling because the container is larger than the previous and they can be placed curbside.
- Starting November 2, household garbage will be collected once rather than twice a week. Click here for a list of frequently asked questions about one-day-a-week pick-up.
- For residences with garbage collection currently on Monday/Thursday, garbage will be collected on Monday and recyclables on Thursday. For those with Tuesday/Friday collections, garbage will be collected on Tuesday and recyclables on Friday.
- Yard trash collections remain on Wednesdays.
How To Use The New Carts
- You don't need to separate materials. You can throw all recyclables in the green cart.
- You're encouraged to use the new green carts and see how they work for your home. If you wish to continue using the smaller blue bin, you may do so.
- If you want to dispose of your old bin, leave it curbside and empty on either garbage or recycling collection day and the city will retrieve it.
- For elderly residents or those with disabilities, collection truck drivers can assist with the city's roll-out service.
If you have questions about this transition, call the city's Solid Waste Division at 904-825-1049.