JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – Events for the city of Jacksonville's annual Week of Valor to salute and honor the service and sacrifices of veterans and the military community begin Saturday and continue through Nov. 21.
The 2015 Week of Valor events include a Veterans Day Parade held Downtown Jacksonville as well as several other patriotic, educational, community and civic activities.
This year celebrations will include a ceremony recognizing the 20th anniversary of the Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Wall. The wall is the second largest wall honoring local service members, the Washington D.C. wall being the largest.
"Jacksonville is a military city with a proud tradition of honoring the service of our strong and growing veteran and military communities," Mayor Lenny Curry said. "The Week of Valor expands our gratitude beyond Veterans Day, into a series of events throughout November that show our gratitude and support for the men and women who currently or previously served our nation."
Retired Army Maj. Gen. Michael D. Healey will serve as the grand marshal for this year's parade, which steps off Wednesday. Healey was the inspiration for the John Wayne movie, "The Green Berets."
The fourth annual Military and Veterans Job and Resource Fair, a flagship event of Week of Valor, will be held on Thursday, Nov. 12.
A complete schedule of events is available below and online at www.coj.net/MilitaryAffairs.
2015 Week of Valor Events
Satuday, Nov. 7
- 10 a.m., Evergreen Cemetery, 4535 N. Main Street | Point of contact: Ken Johnson, email@example.com
- 1 p.m., D.B. Milne Field, Jacksonville University | Ken Johnson, firstname.lastname@example.org
Sunday, Nov. 8
- 8 a.m., Jacksonville Landing | 1stplacesports.com/salute.html
Monday, Nov. 9 – Friday, Nov. 13
- 9 a.m.-1 p.m., Duval County Public Schools | Harrison Conyers, email@example.com
Tuesday, Nov. 10
- 9:30 a.m. - 3 p.m., Legends Center, 5054 Soutel Drive, Jacksonville | Ebony Benjamin, firstname.lastname@example.org 904-475-6065
- 10 a.m. - 2 p.m., Florida National Guard Armory, 9900 Normandy Blvd., Jacksonville | P4P@careersourcenefl.com | Event flyer
- 4:30 p.m., Evergreen Cemetery, 4535 N. Main Street, Jacksonville | Robert Adelhelm, email@example.com
Wednesday, Nov. 11 - Veterans Day
- 11:01 a.m., starts in EverBank Field Parking Lot | City of Jacksonville Office of Special Events, firstname.lastname@example.org
Thursday, Nov. 12
- 10 a.m. - 3 p.m., Kingdom Plaza at Normandy Mall, 5310 Lenox Avenue, Jacksonville | Ken Johnson, email@example.com
Friday, Nov. 13
- Arrival and lite reception at 6:30 p.m., program starts at 7 p.m., University of North Florida, UNF Recital Hall | Ken Johnson, firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday, Nov. 16
- Noon - 1:30 p.m. (Registration at 11:30 a.m.), Hyatt Regency | Darby Carson, email@example.com, (904) 366-6600 x 7787.
- 7 p.m., UNF Arena | Joel Lamp, firstname.lastname@example.org
Wednesday, Nov. 18
Thursday, Nov. 19
- 8:25 p.m., EverBank Field | email@example.com
Friday, Nov. 20 - Saturday, Nov. 21
- 9 a.m., Jacksonville Public Library, Main Branch | Ashley Rogan firstname.lastname@example.org