Former FSU quarterback reaches plea deal

De'Andre Johnson kicked off team after punching woman at bar


TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – De’Andre Johnson, the former Florida State University quarterback who was kicked off the team after a video showed him punching a woman at the bar, reached a plea deal with the state Thursday morning.

A video showing former Florida State quarterback De’Andre Johnson punching a woman at a Tallahassee nightclub got the student-athlete kicked off the team and arrested on a misdemeanor battery charge.

Johnson, who is currently enrolled at East Mississippi Community College, but did not play football this past season, pleaded guilty and will have to complete a 10-day Sheriffs Work Camp program. Work camp duties can include setting up and breaking down events, as well as doing odd jobs around the Sheriff’s Office with participants required to wear prison stripe uniforms

Johnson will also be on six-month probation and will have to pay nearly $1,000 in court and restitution fees.

The woman who was shown in the video getting punched by Johnson became emotional after he entered his plea Thursday.

The victim, Abigail Husty, said she was relieved that everything is over, but disappointed there was no trial after Johnson’s attorney accused her of using racial slurs to provoke the incident.

“I’m happy that it’s over with, because he said it didn’t matter whether there were racial epithets said, but it did to me, because I couldn’t go to class because I was afraid people would think I was racist, because they’d be able to recognize me from the bruising on my face,” Husty said.

Johnson declined to go on-camera, but his attorney, Jose Baez, said the decision not to go to trial was his client’s.

“He’s trying to move forward with his life," Baez said. "He was dismissed from his dream school, and now is trying to concentrate on rebuilding that.”

Husty said she believes Johnson should have the opportunity to play football again, but not at a big program, because she doesn’t think he can handle it.