73ºF

Dorm laundry room fire sparks 2-alarm fire call

St. Augustine Fire Department said dryer in Lewis Hall caught fire

photo

ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. – A men's residence hall at Flagler College was evacuated late Thursday morning while firefighters put out a fire in the laundry room.

There were no injuries and the fire of a dryer on the third floor was reported at 11:41 a.m. 

A second alarm was called because of the manpower needed due to the size of the structure, but damage was contained to the laundry room and the adjoining hallway. 

Fans were brought in to ventilate the dorm, and the students were allowed back inside.