80ºF

Family displaced after fire destroys St. Augustine home

Red Cross assisting family members

The home was destroyed by the fire.
The home was destroyed by the fire.

ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. – Firefighters were called to the scene of a house fire in St. Augustine early Saturday morning, according to St Johns County Fire Rescue.

Investigators said the fire started near an AC unit in the garage and spread into the building's attic on Julia Street.

“It was pretty intense. It was hot and right when I get around this corner, boom, the AC unit just exploded. Sounded like a freaking shot gun blast. It was bad,” said neighbor James Smallwood.

5 people, including 3 adults and 2 children, were inside the home at the time. One man was awoken by the smoke and managed to evacuate everyone in time, according to fire detectives.

That man was later taken to Flagler Hospital because of smoke inhalation. One child was taken to the hospital as well as a precaution because of asthma.

The fire in the home's attic caused the roof to collapse and the the building has been ruled destroyed.

The Red Cross also responded and assisted the family with temporary housing.