Elderly couple escapes Picketville fire
Man awoke to the smell of smoke; mobile home is destroyed
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – An elderly couple managed to escape an overnight fire that destroyed their home in Picketville.
Jacksonville Fire and Rescue Department responded to the fire at 6249 Bluebird Road around 3:38 a.m. The home did not have smoke detectors and was destroyed by the flames. JFRD reports the fire started from the space heater.
The husband says he was asleep at the time when he was awakened by smoke and saw his hallways and bedroom were in flames. He and his wife got out safely but was transported to the hospital with minor smoke inhalation.
One neighbor says he jumped in to action to help the couple when he saw the flames.
"I got up to go to the bathroom and when I got up here, I got a side window and I saw their trailer. I need to do something," said Timmy Crews.
Crews helped pull the man's wife through the back door to safety.
"I'm pretty thankful that I'm able to help someone. I'm legally blind myself," said Crews. He later escorted the man to paramedics.
JFRD reports the fire was under control by 4 a.m.
Fire officials want to remind everyone about how to safely use space heaters. They recommend the following:
- Place the heater on a level, hard, nonflammable surface
- Keep the heater at least three feet away from bedding, drapes, furniture, and anything flammable
- Turn the heater off if you leave the area
- Never leave a space heater on when you go to sleep
Neighbors told us this isn't the first fire to happen in this neighborhood. They're just thankful everyone made it out safely this morning.
"I'm very thankful. It's very close to myself and that's my family. I go over there everyday. I go over there to help her with her sugar. I was just over there yesterday," said Toni Simonton, another neighbor.
One thing to remember, if you don't have a smoke detector in your home, you can get a free one by calling 904-630-CITY.
Copyright 2016 by WJXT News4Jax - All rights reserved.