9 people escape Westside house fire
Father hospitalized as precaution after fire in bedroom
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – A man and eight children between 4 and 13 years old are safe after a fire started in the bedroom of their Westside home Thursday morning.
The fire broke out around 8 a.m. at a home on Kivler Drive, off Firestone Road near I-295. Jacksonville Fire-Rescue said they had the fire contained within 15 minutes.
Robin Lockwood said her husband was inside a bedroom at the front of the house when he felt heat coming from his mattress. He noticed the fire and he went into the living room to get six grandchildren and two nieces out of the house.
The man was hospitalized as a precaution because his blood pressure was high.
"Thank God that he didn’t get burned up because it happened in the room that he was in and I was told that it was electrical outlet that burst into flames," Lockwood said.
JFRD said there is heavy damage inside the home and they remained on scene for hours as parts of the attic were smoldering. They say the fire is under investigation by the state fire marshal.
"I left here at 2:30 a.m. this morning going to work, and this is what I came back home to," Lockwood said. "I thank God that everybody got out OK. I thank God that nothing serious happened, but I lost everything."
The family, who has rented the home for 17 years, said they will have to stay with family and friends while the damage is repaired. The Red Cross was also helping the family with clothes and other short-term needs.
Copyright 2016 by WJXT News4Jax - All rights reserved.