Arrests made in deadly Waycross shooting

Father of 7, woman killed at Garlington Heights Apartments


WAYCROSS, Ga. – The Waycross Police Department has arrested two men in connection with a deadly shooting at the Garlington Heights Apartment complex June 18 that left a father of seven and a woman dead.

Davante Marquise LeJune, 21, and Jarvis D. Edmonds, 23, were arrested Wednesday morning in Georgia.

Waycross police said Cameron Wilkins Jr., 21, and Felicia Williams, 32, were killed in the shooting, and two other people, who were not named, were injured.

LeJune was arrested in an apartment in Blackshear, Georgia, and Edmonds was arrested in Homerville, Georgia. Both are charged with two counts of murder and two counts of aggravated assault.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation, the Blackshear Police Department, the Homerville Police Department, the Pierce County Sheriff's Office and the Clinch County Sheriff's Office helped make the arrests.

Wilkins was released from jail not long before the shooting and was trying to get his life on track, according to his family.

Wilkins' sister, Ashley Wilkins, said her brother was the glue that kept her family together, and life will never be the same without him.

“He was a good person, and he stayed to himself," Ashley said. “He tried to make my mother happy by staying off the streets.”

Ashley said she remembers her brother as a teen who loved sports, especially basketball, and was the problem-solver for his friends and family.

“My little brother gave me advice, saying, ‘Hold on. It’s going to be alright,’” Ashley said.

Cameron’s family said he was the best thing that happened to their family in a long time.

“I know he’s going to watch over us, motivate us and give my mother strength to live day by day,” Ashley said.

Neighbors told News4Jax that although the shooting occurred in a housing project, they are not accustomed to the violence.

"Even though this is the projects, this is a nice area," said a neighbor who wished to remain unnamed.

Waycross police said the investigation is ongoing.