Cat saved from Mandarin home fire
Nobody home at time
MANDARIN, Fla. – Firefighters were able to save a cat from a home fire in Mandarin Wednesday morning.
Jacksonville Fire Rescue Department crews responded to the home on Lynnhaven Terrace near San Jose Boulevard and Claire Lane around 8 a.m.
Officials said the fire started in the attic, but don't know what caused it.
A neighbor told News4Jax that his wife opened their blinds and saw flames shooting out of the roof, so he called the JFRD. He said the couple that lives in the house own Mama Q's Pizza on Old St. Augustine Road.
Nobody was home during the fire, and fire crews were able to safely rescue the family cat.
"We travel back and forth to North Carolina," the neighbor said. "We have a house up there. If we weren't home, who knows how long the fire would have gone on."
Most of the damage was to the roof, officials said.
The fire marshal was called to the scene and the the fire is under investigation.
Copyright 2016 by WJXT News4Jax - All rights reserved.