Residents want crosswalk where girl was hit crossing road

6-year-old girl crossing Moncrief Road with her family was hit by car

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – A child was seriously injured Thursday morning when she was hit by a car in Northwest Jacksonville, according to Jacksonville Fire-Rescue.

According to JFRD, the crash happened around 7:29 a.m. on Moncrief Road near the intersection of Ken Knight Drive as a mother was crossing the street with her three children. When they stopped in the turn lane, a 6-year-old girl kept going and was hit by a southbound car.

The girl was taken to UF Health Jacksonville with life-threatening injuries, but News4Jax was told Thursday afternoon that she was in serious condition. Her name has not been released.

The driver of the vehicle did stop and was cooperating with police.

The accident happened just across the street from the Washington Heights Apartments. Residents say it's a busy stretch of road, no light at the intersection and two school bus stops in the area.

"They need a crossing guard or some lights, especially in the morning with our children because there a lot of parents that are not walking their children," resident Lolita Wilson said.

There was a deadly crash in the same area in July 2015 and a marker at that site reminds drivers and pedestrians to be cautious.

"They need to add some type of crosswalk," Kenneth Harmon said. "With the traffic, even in vehicles trying
to turn out here, they're getting hit. It ain't just the pedestrians, but just for the drivers. They need something better."

While News4Jax was at the intersection in the hours after Thursday morning's accident, the crew saw several people crossing the road in the exact same way -- walking to the turn lane, waiting for traffic to clear, then crossing to the other side. 

News4Jax crime and safety analyst Gil Smith said the area needs more visual warnings for pedestrians.

"If you are having several accidents here, you may decide to put something up here -- a crosswalk or a warning sign," Smith said. "Something to warn drivers that people are crossing the street here."

City officials said getting a crosswalk takes time. The first step would be for someone to make the request by calling 904-630-CITY.

About the Authors: