Couple arrested after police find 6 pots of meth in burned-out RV
Police say woman admitted to lighting fire in boyfriend's RV
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – A couple has been arrested after police found six containers of methamphetamine in the remains of a recreational vehicle that burned up Wednesday morning in an RV park along Philips Highway, according to the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office.
Jaclyn Jirout, 24, was arrested Wednesday on a charge of arson in the hours after firefighters had put out the blaze at the Fleetwood Mobile Home and RV Park.
According to the JSO arrest report, Jirout admitted to setting a T-shirt on fire and throwing it on the bed of her boyfriend's RV.
The owner of the RV, Matthew Inman, 27, was arrested the next day on a charge of possession of a controlled substance.
The blaze forced residents to be evacuated once because of the proximity of other RVs, then again later in the day after police said they found six pots containing meth in the remains of the gutted trailer.
A hazmat team processed and cleared what was left of the RV.
According to the arrest report, Jirout and Inman had an altercation Tuesday night and he left her alone in the trailer. Police said Jirout left threatening voicemails and sent similar texts to Inman's grandmother and his ex-girlfriend Tuesday night and Wednesday morning.
Police said they found Jirout with her belongings packed in a suitcase and a plastic bag. She initially told officers that she was sleeping in the RV when she woke up to the smell of smoke and got out. During the investigation, police said, she lifted her shirt to show her breast to one witness, and later in the day, after she was arrested, she removed her shirt when placed in the back of a patrol car.
Jirout also made comments to police about Inman cooking "meth" and using it, the arrest report said.
While detectives interviewed the owner of the RV, Inman said Jirout was probably high on drugs and he also admitted to using meth, according to JSO. Inman was then arrested Thursday.
The manager of the RV park said the couple was scheduled to be evicted by the end of the month.
Authorities warn of dangers drug poses for neighbors, first responders
Over the last year, News4Jax has reported on dozens of methamphetamine-related investigations.
Randy Wyse, president of the Jacksonville Association of Firefighters, said the drug has become a big problem.
"Obviously, you are seeing an uptick in meth," Wyse said. "It creates all sorts of issues. And hazmat needs to be right upfront when you're dealing with these types of situations."
Gil Smith, News4Jax crime and safety analyst, said the dangerous drug not only puts the users at risk, but those around them, including neighbors and first responders.
"It is such a flammable and explosive chemical that they are using," Smith said.
Authorities said bizarre behavior is just one of the side effects of meth.
"Overdoses, people in cardiac arrest due to these issues, or really psychological issues. A lot of times you get on this meth and you just kind of go crazy," Wyse said.
The problem is widespread across Northeast Florida counties. In St. Johns County, seven meth labs have been discovered and there have been 71 meth-related arrests this year.
Authorities said they're doing what they can to stop what some are calling an epidemic before it spreads any more.
"It's obviously become a drain on resources. We are responding to these things every day all across the city," Wyse said.
Copyright 2016 by WJXT News4Jax - All rights reserved.