74ºF

2-year-old burned by grease on stove

MIDDLEBURG, Fla. – A toddler was flown by air ambulance to the burn unit at Shands Hospital in Gainesville on Thursday after spilling boiling grease on herself at a Middleburg home.

Clay County officials said the 2-year-old suffered burns on her chest and arms inside a home on Sunflower Avenue. Deputies said the family was cooking Oreo churros when the child pulled the pot off the burner. 

Her family went with her to the hospital.

Deputies responded to the incident, but said it was clearly an accident.