45ºF

7 overcome by fumes at Green Cove Springs plant

GREEN COVE SPRINGS, Fla. – Four people were taken to Orange Park Medical Center and three others were treated at the scene Tuesday after becoming sick from fumes from a peroxide cleaning solution at a processing plant in Green Cove Springs, according to the Clay County Fire Department.

Firefighters were called to a hazmat incident at the Garden Foods plant on JP Hall Boulevard about 11:30 a.m. after people complained of dizziness and breathing problems. Authorities said either the cleaning solution was not deleted properly or it was mixed with some other chemical, causing the toxic fumes.

All those treated were in stable condition, according to John Ward, spokesman for Clay County Fire-Rescue.