68ºF

Multiple violations found at local restaurants

Mold, flies, food at dangerous temperatures found

JACKSONVILLE, Fla – The weekly Restaurant Report Card did not include any closures, but three restaurants got the attention of News4Jax due to violations that could get customers sick.

Inspectors found mold in the ice machine, flies in the kitchen and food at the wrong temperature.

Little China on Old St. Augustine Road had three high priority violations. Managers had to throw out food because of temperature abuse.

Inspectors found a refrigerator that was holding food about five to six degrees too warm to be considered safe.  Egg rolls, chicken and beef had to be thrown away. The inspector did come back three days later and cleared Little China with zero serious violations.

La Nopalera Mexican Restaurant on Crosshill Boulevard in Baldwin has yet to fail an inspection, but had six high priority violations.

Managers had to throw out 20 peppers and a tomato because of mold. There was no sanitizer of any kind available to wash dishes or utensils.

Workers were instructed to use single service items to serve food to customers. There was also meat too warm to be considered safe. The restaurant is still in need of a follow up inspection, but was allowed to stay open.

Famous Amos Restaurant on Normandy Boulevard had several high priority violations. The inspector found flies in the kitchen.

The state noted an employee cracked an egg and went to work with cheese without washing his hands beforehand. The restaurant had to throw out ice in a bin by the bathroom because there was a black mold-like growth occurring inside.

Workers had to throw away stuffing, rice and turkey because it was too warm to be considered safe. The next day the inspector came back and cleared Famous Amos with zero serious violations. The restaurant is still in need of a follow up inspection, but was allowed to stay open.

   


About the Author: