Woman injured in fire at Southside apartments dies
Firefighters: Woman smoking while using oxygen
A woman who was hospitalized with life-threatening injuries Saturday after a fire started at the Beachwood Apartment complex, died Wednesday afternoon, her niece told News4Jax.
According to police, 59-year-old Teresa Snyder, who is on oxygen, was smoking a cigarette when she fell asleep in her first-floor apartment. Jacksonville Fire Rescue personnel believe the cigarette came too close to her oxygen mask, starting the fire.
"She was unconscious and badly burned," JFRD's Roger Lewis said.
Snyder was rushed to the hospital with second-degree burns and life-threatening injuries. She was transferred to the burn unit at Shands-Gainesville for treatment.
Her niece said she never regained consciousness and died Wednesday surrounded by her family.
Family members said she was disabled and had issues with getting around. They said doctors told Snyder she needed to quit smoking during her last doctor's visit.
Snyder's family thanked neighbors for stepping in and calling for help.
Snyder's dog was also in the apartment at the time of the fire and did not survive.
JFRD said the fire started at 5:20 p.m. and was under investigation by the fire marshal.
Copyright 2017 by WJXT News4Jax - All rights reserved.